Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sometimes, when I watch the evening news, I get discouraged. Is that hard to believe? Think about it. So many things appear to be out of my control and in the hands of people I either don’t trust because they don’t look like me, belong to a different political party or maybe it’s just me. It makes me wonder if the guys I send my money to can get anything done that will help my friends and me have a better life or if I should stop sending them money. There are a few things these guys don’t seem to control that don’t appear to be all that difficult to put into place and I’d be curious to see what the results would be if that happened. Some are personal and would affect very few but others are ideas I find interesting.

For instance, I’d like to see folks stop spending their money on professional sports tickets. I’m curious as to what it might do to the price of a ticket. I think it might go down and that would probably mean more parents could take their children to a game or match. I’d like to see a higher academic standard set for high school athletes. Not just a “C” average but maybe a “B” or better. I’m curious as to what it might do to the graduation rates for these students. I think the rates might go up and who knows, maybe it would give the athletes a sense of pride in something other than their athletic ability. I’d like to see everyone who’s able give ten cans of food and ten dollars a year to a local charity. I’m curious as to what it might do to help some folks feel better about themselves. It might go a long way toward getting people more involved in their communities. I’d like to see more vegetarians. I’m curious as to what that would do to our national obesity and heart disease problem. It might lessen our health care costs and prevent me from having to look at those pitiful chickens packed twelve to a crate in those eighteen wheelers and heading for slaughter. I’d like to see small towns pass ordinances allowing golf carts in their city limits. I’m curious as to what it would do to Ipod sales. It might give folks more of an opportunity to talk…about whatever and lessen the demand for gas (of course). I’d like to see folks who are out of work with job skills in labor putting those resources to work in their local community while they wait for a paying job. I’m curious as to what it would do for self-esteem and the re-establishment of community pride. It might do a lot. I’d like to see moms hugging their children in the grocery store instead of smacking their hands or face when they reach for something. I’m curious as to what it might do to their child’s sense of curiosity. It might help them to be less afraid to ask questions, to reach out or fail at a task of some sort.


There are many other things I’d like to see but I’d settle for these because I think they are doable and don’t require any action from the folks in D.C…and isn’t that a pleasant thought? Call me a glass half full sort of guy. I still believe in our country, its ability to overcome, organize and make things better. And, after all, we are the country are we not? If you’re curious also, and can think of other things we can do without the help of those in the beltway …send me a note on the comments section of macon.com. We’ll have a conversation of sorts and it won’t cost a dime.

No comments:

Post a Comment